Recent articles

Meaford's Sykes Street Development - the facts
A local business and downtown building owner's perspective on Sykes development
Already gone. What we've lost forever, and how it can happen again.
Cherished places worth fighting for
Pillars and Pediments – Musings on the advantages of heritage preservation
Recipe for a livable community
What is heritage conservation? A brief overview
Why heritage preservation is good for business in Meaford

What Meaford is doing about heritage
Meaford's Official Plan and other important documents
Meaford heritage success stories

Photo of Meaford Hall and Firehall in top slideshow courtesy Bill Inglis, Meaford

Heritage Meaford is a branch of the Architectural Conservancy of Ontario (ACO)

Website design, development and content by
myFavoriteMarketer Meaford website design and content specialists

Cleland/Clarke House

Cleland/Clarke House
Southeast corner Trowbridge and Cook Streets

This c. 1880 is the "jewel in the crown of the historic houses of Meaford," writes Ruth Cathcart in How Firm A Foundation – Historic Houses of Grey County. "This example of [Second Empire style] is truly outstanding…it stands in all its original elaborate, high-style dignity… anchored by two towers capped by shallow hipped roofs…"

Built in the late 1870s by James Cleland, then Reeve of Meaford and subsequently Mayor, the house was purchased in 1889 by Dr. John G. Clarke, who lived there till his death in 1930.

Note the original hitching post in front of the building.

Charitable #: 10807 1556 RR0001 | © 2024 Heritage Meaford