Bayfield Street at harbour
The Meaford Museum was opened in July of 1961 in the town's old (1895) pump house, which was being used as a storage location prior to some minor renovations. It was run by a dedicated group of volunteers until a curator was hired in the early 1980s.
The Museum Board and curators worked together until 2003 when the curator, Paul Cornfield, received a grant through the Superbuild program to renovate the Museum. The $500,000 was used to gut the building, re-do the electrical and plumbing, level the floors, create proper museum storage facilities and re-do the exhibit rooms. It gave the facility new life and purpose, and during the grand re-opening in 2007 many people showed up to celebrate the amazing changes.
Then, in 2009 a new vestibule was added in order to finish making the building completely accessible. In 2010 phase 1 of a three-year landscaping project was implemented.
Since the re-opening the museum had enjoyed increased attendance and interest from local citizens and visitors to the area.
In 2011 the genealogical research services were centralized at the museum and services continue to expand as the community recognizes the importance of the museum and its mission.